The Delores Project is a community. We strive to provide an environment that is sensitive and inclusive for all persons. It is important to us that everyone who enters our doors has a welcoming, positive, and safe experience. As a participant in our community, volunteers must follow this code of conduct:
- I will treat every individual at The Delores Project, including guests, residents, staff, and other volunteers, with dignity and respect regardless of identity, including but not limited to an individual’s: race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender variance, age (40 and over), national origin, marital or veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable law.
- I will not allow personal feelings towards guests or residents to influence treatment, preferential or otherwise.
- I will not accept cash gifts or donations from a guest or resident. I may, at my discretion, accept a nominal gift from guests or residents on behalf of the entire organization. Examples include snack food or small decorative items.
- I will not give or lend gifts, money, or goods to an individual guest or resident.
- I will not transport a guest or resident in my personal vehicle.
- I will not hire a guest or resident for any work outside The Delores Project.
- I will not socialize with a guest or resident outside of the TDP premises in any non-professional setting, including inviting a guest or resident to my home. If I encounter a guest or resident outside The Delores Project, I will respect their privacy and allow them to acknowledge me first.
- I will not engage in a romantic or sexual relationship with a guest or resident.
- I will not use drugs or alcohol with a guest or resident.
- I will not volunteer under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Volunteers are advised to abstain from even a glass of wine at home prior to a dinner meal shift, for example, as the alcohol can be noted on one’s breath by guests and staff.
- I will not share personal and confidential information about a guest, resident, another volunteer, or staff member with other guests or residents, current or former, or to third parties, including family members. I agree to hold any conversations regarding guests or residents with staff in private.
- I will not give out my personal information including personal phone number, address, or any other identifying information.
- I will not be friends with or followers of guests or residents on social media.
- I will not photograph or interview guests or residents for public purposes.
- I will not allow or participate in any media contact, whether by phone or in person, as a representative of The Delores Project.
- I will not initiate spiritual or religious activities, including, but not limited to praying, hymn singing, or reading faith-based books or literature with a guest or resident.
- I will not distribute spiritual or religious materials.
- I will not advocate for my personal beliefs or invite a guest or resident to attend religious or spiritual services with me.
- If a guest or resident initiates a conversation in regards to spiritual or religious beliefs or background, I may discuss these topics. If asked, I may inform a guest or resident of service times and location for a spiritual or religious institution (i.e., church, synagogue, mosque, etc.).
- I will report any injuries, hazards, or individuals who could be a danger to themselves or others to a staff member, who then may inform mental health or law enforcement agencies.
- I will show up on time prepared for the volunteer work and stay for the duration of my commitment or make special arrangements in advance, if necessary.
The Delores Project has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination, verbal or physical violence, harassment, bullying, or hate speech. The Delores Project reserves the right to disengage with any volunteer at any time who does not adhere to the Volunteer Agreement or whose actions may not be appropriate for, nor aligned with, the mission of The Delores Project.
I will not hold The Delores Project liable for any injuries, thefts, or other incidents during my visit. I give permission to The Delores Project to use my image and/or conversations to promote the organization in print or on-line media. Additionally, if I am requested to provide transportation on behalf of The Delores Project, I maintain both a valid driver's license and current private vehicular insurance. I attest that I have not been convicted of a felony or presently have no outstanding charges of such or have made management of The Delores Project aware of such.
I have reviewed the Volunteer Agreement and agree to abide by the provisions outlined.
Electronic Signature Agreement: The parties agree that this agreement may be electronically signed. The parties acknowledge that electronic signatures appearing on this agreement are the same as handwritten signatures for the purposes of validity, enforceability, and admissibility.