The Delores Project is a community. We strive to provide an environment that is sensitive and inclusive for all persons. It is important to us that everyone who enters our doors has a welcoming, positive, and safe experience.
Shelter guests and permanent supportive housing residents have varied personal histories that can be deeply moving. Some are living with personal trauma. Maintaining ethical conduct and boundaries with guests and residents is important. Volunteers and staff must be consistent in our service delivery, expectations, and policies for guests and residents.
- I will treat every individual at The Delores Project, including guests, residents, staff, and other volunteers, with dignity and respect regardless of identity, including but not limited to: race, gender identity or expression, political or spiritual beliefs, age ancestry, national origin, physical or mental ability, or sexual orientation.
- I will respect the privacy of all guests and residents at The Delores Project. I will not disclose information about any guests or residents to other guests or residents, current or former, or to third parties, including family members. I agree to hold any conversations regarding guests or residents with staff in private.
- I will report any injuries, hazards, or individuals who could be a danger to themselves or others to a staff member, who then may inform mental health or law enforcement agencies.
- I will not allow personal feelings towards guests or residents to influence treatment, preferential or otherwise.
- I will not fraternize with guests or residents outside the shelter. If I encounter a guest or resident outside the shelter, I will respect their privacy and allow them to acknowledge me first.
- I will keep personal contact or address information of staff and volunteers strictly confidential, including my own. I will not invite a guest to my home.
- I will not hire guests or residents for any work outside the shelter.
- I will only transport a guest or resident with approval from the CEO or their subordinates with approval.
- I will not give cash or gifts to guests or residents.
- I will not accept cash from guests or residents for any reason. I understand that I am encouraged to decline gifts from guests and residents.
- Sexual activity or relationships between volunteers and guests or residents is strictly prohibited.
- I will not initiate spiritual or religious activities, including, but not limited to praying, hymn singing, or reading faith-based books or literature with a guest or resident.
- I will not distribute spiritual or religious materials.
- I will not advocate for my personal beliefs. If a guest or resident initiates a conversation in regards to spiritual or religious beliefs or background, I understand that I may discuss these topics.
- I will not invite a guest or resident to attend religious or spiritual services with me. I understand that I may inform a guest or resident of service times and location for my spiritual or religious institution (i.e., church, synagogue, mosque, etc.) if asked.
- I will not volunteer at The Delores Project under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- I will not photograph or interview guests or residents for public purposes.
- I will not allow or participate in any media contact, whether by phone or in person, as a representative of The Delores Project.
- I will show up on time prepared for the volunteer work and stay for the duration of my commitment or make special arrangements in advance, if necessary.
The Delores Project has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination, verbal or physical violence, harassment, bullying, or hate speech. The Delores Project reserves the right to disengage with any volunteer at any time who does not adhere to the Volunteer Agreement or whose actions may not be appropriate for, nor aligned with, the mission of The Delores Project.
I will not hold The Delores Project liable for any injuries, thefts, or other incidents during my visit. I give permission to The Delores Project to use my image and/or conversations to promote the organization in print or on-line media. Additionally, if I am requested to provide transportation on behalf of The Delores Project, I maintain both a valid driver's license and current private vehicular insurance. I attest that I have not been convicted of a felony or presently have no outstanding charges of such or have made management of The Delores Project aware of such.
I have reviewed the Volunteer Agreement and agree to abide by the provisions outlined.
Electronic Signature Agreement: The parties agree that this agreement may be electronically signed. The parties acknowledge that electronic signatures appearing on this agreement are the same as handwritten signatures for the purposes of validity, enforceability, and admissibility.
Click the link below to sign electronically.